Together, we discussed the proliferation of high tech policing tools and surveillance programs within the criminal legal system, and how these programs are targeting Black and brown communities to criminalize dissent and undermine freedom of speech. We also explored how filing for a Public Records Request or Freedom of Information Act are useful tools to exposing much needed information about how these programs work.
If you missed this MJ Salon on Freedom of Information, you can check out the recording of our discussion here:
Want to learn more about this topic? Check out the resources our guest speakers shared throughout the webinar:
- ACLU Northern California – Facial Recognition Records Request
- Stop LAPD Spying Coalition – Before the Bullet Hits the Body: Dismantling Predictive Policing in Los Angeles
- Working Narratives – Muckrock.com
- Stop LAPD Spying – Living document of the “Stalker State
- ACLU Northern California – Amazon Teams Up With Law Enforcement to Deploy Dangerous New Face Recognition Technology